Monday, December 6, 2010

Wrapping up the semester

It's here all ready. The end of another semester, and unfortunately, the end of this class. I can never believe how fast it goes, and this time, I'm really going to be sad to be leaving these classes behind. But, the show must go on. But what have I learned? I felt the need to do the Course overview, to really finish things off and give it my final stamp before I can move on for the semester. So, I'll give my answers, as well as one more question I think needed to be asked.


What was my most significant take away learning from this class?
I've mentioned it before, but I have been thoroughly revolutionized by the ideas of Sugata Mitra, Gardener's Multiple Intelligences, and Differentiating Instruction. I know it was supposed to be the main one take away, but these three things have become a basis for a teacher that I want to be. I see the benefit of broadening myself up, of taking those steps to not be a conventional teacher. The world is going to be such a different place for the children that I teacher. I feel I'd be letting them down if I followed the same methods that were used on me. I'll be preparing kids for a world that is going to be so unimaginable, that if I don't learn how to expand myself to unseen levels, and give them all a fair chance to show off the skills that they have, to embrace the unique talents of every child, then the future will only suffer. We're moving forward, and they've these concepts have helped make me want to move along with the future.

Has my thinking changed in any way? How?
Inclusive education was the most controversial thing for me in this class. I really am afraid, simply because I don't know what to expect out of my future. The first time I heard about the idea, I could only see faults in the reasoning. But with every class, I have begun to understand that the Alberta Government may have the right idea in pushing the school system in this direction, or at least by trying to get it to a better level. I haven't changed my goals in my future, but, I really think that I've become a lot more open to the idea. I still have my reservations, but who knows, by the time I'm teaching, that may be the norm, and that's all I'll be used too.


What about implications for my planned professional practice? 
I may be getting a bit ahead of myself, but I've really been making a model in my head throughout the entire class. I've been looking at the different theorists and models, and piecing together a classroom that I'd want to teach. It's idealistic at this point, and it may change in the future, but I think everything in this class has been an introduction into techniques that I have to use in teaching, and things that I want to do. It'd be impossible to narrow it down, because I think that the implication was that it opened my eyes to what I can do.

Now, it wasn't one of the three questions given out in class, but I had to think about it. How did the blog affect me? What have I taken away from it? And I have to be honest. I did neglect my blog. Why? There are excuses of course, mostly due to procrastination and other responsibilities with a more imminent deadline, but I think I was suffering a writing block. Writing is something that I love to do, but for months I haven't even written for my own pleasure. It effected my motivation to complete blog entries. Little did I know, that by doing these, I have suddenly pushed past any writing problems I had a week ago.

Would I continue my blog? Probably not. It was incredibly useful I think to do at the end of the semester, because I've had a chance to review everything that we've gone over in the year. But...I find that I'm exposing myself by having an online blog. Most of the thoughts that I've written down here were ones that were going through my head the entire time, and by the time I go to write them down, they've lost the passion that they had. It would have been nice to be able to discuss everything as we go through it, but that is never possible. But it has done something for me. It's forced my to really commit to my opinions, and look at the material we've gone over in class. I've even got to be more creative and passionate than I would in any essay. So no, I may not continue this blog onto the future, but I'm glad we got the chance to do it here. I only wish I'd been more dilegent to complete it throughout the year.

So...that's all folks. A semester over, and a lot learned. I don't know how my opinions will continue to change, but, this has certainly been one of my favourite classes. I'm excited to teach, and to take the steps to put in place the framework I've begun to build here.

No comments:

Post a Comment