Sunday, December 5, 2010

My Ecological Context



Bronfenbrenner ecological theory introduced an important point. We do not exist as distinct individuals, suspended outside of all contact. There is a world surrounding each one of us, that has the power to affect us in either positive or negative ways. Take for example a university student with exams coming up, stressing them out, that wears them down and leaves them downbeat for their job that day. There are similar connections like this in everything that we do, from the complex to a simple cause and effect. And even though out ecological system may put us in a bad mood, as a teacher, one will have to learn to look for the reasons for behaviour that may not simply spawn from a child, and that we can't always overlook behaviour as being the simplest answer.

We did the assignment in class of mapping our own ecological systems, but I want to try something a little differently. I want to try to think back, and remember some of the things that fit into my ecological context when I was a kid. Things may change, but I think some of the things will still affect kids today, and in the future.

Chronosystem
Time- the 90's. It was the beginning of getting computers in your home, and I remember having a computer, a very basic one that played solitaire and mahjong. There were some political issues at the time, including the Columbine shooting near the end of the decade. In Alberta, there was access to school, food, and any basic needs plus a little bit more for those in my life.

Macrosystem
There was a heavy influence of boy bands, and a heavy market for things like Pokemon cards. A lot of the social details are lost, but I was barely old enough to understand some of the things going on around me, and thus, they didn't really effect me directly. But there was a second Euro invasion with the Spice Girls, the end up the Grunge scene, and something that influenced me a lot in my life, a large introductions of Japanese animation into mainstream North America.

Exosystem
This would involve my parent's divorce, my mothers job and the economic strain it put on the household. We rented a duplex, which could have potentially influenced me, but there were little problems with that until I was older. I can remember my parents getting into fights with their friends, which in turn changed my parents mood and they way that they behaved. As well, my mom went to RDC when I was younger, and the course load as well as the change in her schedule because of travelling for classes effected my life, and forced me to learn how to stay home alone and take care of my little brother for an hour after school.

Microsystem
I was living in a single parent household, with a younger brother, though I did get to see my father every second weekend. There was no church involved in my life, though I was lucky enough to have a strong connection with both sets of my grandparents because we all lived in the same town. The neighbourhood I lived in was great as well, for it provided me with many kids my own age or younger, and often created a great community for us to play in, whether it was water fights in the summer, or tobogganing in the winter. I mainly had one close friend, who I still have till this day. My schooling, after a bad first few years, went very well, and helped promote a much more intellectually active role in my life.

Individual
In my childhood, I was lucky enough to have good health, for the most part. I had pneumonia when I was younger, but there were no other serious problems. Being a girl had its ups and downs, but no different that being a boy would have.

It is difficult to try to look back and remember all of the little facets in my life, but even taking a quick look back tells me of all the things in my life that could have, and did affect me. Some of the events in my life may have even stemmed from the larger systems that I was not even aware of. If life had this many connections for me, then a child at any time would be faced with the same number of things that could change their outlook on the world. I remember what it was like when I was faced with some of the problems in my life. I was lucky enough to be sent to a guidance counsellor, and given the chance to work through those problems. That is something I believe that all kids need..someone that can look to see that there might be a bigger problem out there, and to help them overcome it.

No comments:

Post a Comment