Sunday, December 5, 2010

Inclusive Education- Am I ready?

● Problem Ownership ● Distraction vs. Attention Span ● No Risk Taking ● Blaming the Victim ● Reading Competence ● Effect on Perception of Behaviour ● Visual Motor Coordination ● Oral Expression ● Reading and Decoding ● Fairness ●

The topics above were all brought up in Richard Lavoie's F.A.T. City Workshop. Even looking at them now, they're daunting things to consider. I'm glad that I got a chance to see that video, and get a second hand experience of his presentation. I didn't think I would be able to step into the shoes of a child with a learning disability so easily, and understand their frustration. A frustrations that they did not sign up for, or have an easy way out of.

Just a small look at that frustrating world, and I know that I would not be able to be where I am if I had those problems in school. Not in the system I went through. My step sister experienced a learning disability with reading, one that she still struggles with, but has been helped through a withdraw method. And now, we are faced with a future in which inclusive classrooms is quickly becoming the path teachers are going to need to deal with. And I am, in the least bit, torn.

My worries aren't unique, I'm sure anyone who thinks about the possibility is a bit terrified of the prospect, in one way or another. There are a lot of questions to be raised. Can a teacher meet the needs of children with learning disabilities in a regular class setting? With growing class sizes, is this putting more strain on teachers all ready? Can children without learning disabilities have their needs met if a teacher has to give special aid to those that do have learning disabilities? What kind of training are we going to get to prepare us for the task of including these kids? If we get rid of other programs, will children with learning disabilities lose an option in ways to help them gain an education?

The questions make my head spin. They may eventually become less confusing when I actually get a chance to teach, and am given a chance to experience how a classroom will run with me at it's head. But it is a lot that needs to be answered. It plays to my fear of letting kids down, whether they're the ones with a learning disability or not.

But...I can see the benefit of an inclusive classroom. These kids need a different style of teaching, perhaps a littler bit more attention to learn, but they are still kids. Most of them are the same in every other aspect to those their own age. Having an inclusive classroom will probably not only increase a child's social strengths, but make other students more accepting of them. Children can be cruel, and it may lead to teasing on the playground if they will pick on the kids that aren't doing as well in class, but I've seen so many cases of children having a blind or sensory deprived kid in their class, and doing their best to accept them as any other kid. That is the side I would like to see, and one I hope would occur with inclusion. Other emotional problems may also help be resolved if a kid is never taken away from his classmates, and not made to feel more different than he all ready does.

I want to be given the chance to try this, and see how well it can work. I want to expect the best out of myself as a teacher, and give the best to the students. So, despite my reservations and fears, I just want to be given the best education that I can, so that I can take part in an inclusive educational system with the most confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment